Search This Blog


Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Title Point

So …
I was forced by my boss to participate in (read: 'LISTEN in boredom to') yet another teleconference today.
She hears about/gets these ideas that something might possibly, somehow, perhaps, in the distant future, if our entire company restructures itself and a cost of millions of dollars, be useful. And then she makes others waste their time hearing about it.
OK.. whatever… I get it. And no, not ONE has ever become fruitful.

The hardest part for me is when the presenter has a quirk of speech that you pick up on …. Which drives you insane for the entire ordeal.

For example:
Today’s presenter was a man (with a doctorate, no less) who insisted on using the word “etcetera” (or “et cetera”, if you so choose).
So, like any good classmate, I began to count ….

16 times in the 55 minute presentation. That's a TON.
And with a special treat one time of a 3-etcetera sentence.

All of which would be… OK… except that he insisted on pronouncing it as: “eK-SET-u-ruh”, thereby making my ears bleed.


One other thing that I amuse myself by measuring is the point in a presentation when the title itself is brought in.
All decent books, stories, articles and presentations eventually get around to rounding everything up into a statement of …. THE TITLE.
So it’s important to note that exact eureka! moment when they’ve brought you there.
Today’s moment was at the 48 minute mark.
It’s also fun to get those “looks” from your coworkers when you are on a teleconference, silently sitting at your desk in your office, and you mark the achievement of what I like to call TITLE POINT by screaming out “TITLE !!!” as loud as you can.

No comments: