Search This Blog


Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The iMeaning of Life

As I have been out on my daily runs recently, I've been contemplating my iPod and the music coming out of it.
Aside from the total coolness of the technology itself (it's SO much better than having to run with a reel-to-reel tape machine duct taped to my back, or perhaps being followed through the streets of Providence by a really good cover band), I have wondered about the "shuffle" option.
What exactly is the algorithm that is used to choose the play-list?

(ALGORITHM: When the ex-vice-president's jokes are really working for him)

But I digress.
I realize I have an overactive imagination, but I swear the songs that my iPod chooses aren't just random. It seems that it strings together song types in little 3 & 4 song sets. Maybe it's the overall rhythm or something. How would it know that? Not sure. But I bet it's not too difficult to determine the tempo from a digital signature of some sort. A long shot, I know - but it seems to happen.

OK, this is where it gets weird. Well, where I do, anyway. But work with me on this.
I have about 1,400 songs on my Nano, and it tends to choose little groups of songs that are connected in some way. Maybe they are all fast, or slow. But sometimes it seems there are discernable themes, or a very personalized bent to the selection. Each song might remind me of certain people, or high school, or a certain time in my life, or a vacation. Some experience of some kind.
Now, obviously this is an impossibility, unless I dip into my "conspiracy theory" bag & put on my tin foil hat so I can propose that Steve Job has figured out how to obtain brain scans through the ear-pieces. And that these provide feedback for song choices.
Riiight.

But, that leaves me with the thought that I am able to contrive a similarity or theme between these song sets. This would make sense, because I have CHOSEN the entire song library, and most times you pick songs that mean something to you. MUCH more logical than the brain-scan idea, if you ask me. (It's always important, I believe, to jump to the most LUDICROUS explanation for something first. It's more entertaining)

But THAT gives me an idea.
You see, everyone might not figure this out. At least not right away.
And that means there's money to be made.

I could interpret peoples iPod song shuffle lists for them.
Like a dream interpreter. I'd tell people what the songs played by their iPod MEAN in their lives. For a nominal fee, of course. Thus proving my legitimacy
I'd become their iPod-Whisperer.
The iWhisperer.

No comments: