Search This Blog


Wednesday, October 24, 2007

And Now for Something COMPLETELY Different...



As some of you know, I have had the opportunity, no the PRIVILEGE, of taking Rhode Island’s public transportation to work in Providence recently.
In REAL words, that means TAKING THE BUS.


Now … other than one day early on when the bus actually just drove right by me as if I was invisible (something I am not entirely convinced doesn’t happen from time to time ~ kind of like I’m on HEROES), the RI bus transit service…RIPTA … isn’t really all that bad. The travel time is the same as if I drove myself, along basically the same route, and the pick up /delivery times are pretty convenient. We’ll see how the winter goes…
But really - it’s $22.50 per month, so…

The true benefit, however, in taking public transportation is the on-bus experience itself. I get to immerse myself – and luckily interact with – my fellow Rhode Islanders up close and personal. We’re talking a veritable cornucopia of culture here.

And now that I’ve seen this, I feel that I just HAVE to share it with everyone. It would just be selfish to keep it hidden inside. And God knows, I’m all about sharing.

Thus begins what will most assuredly be a reoccurring piece about “the ways of the bus” …where all walks of life and all forms of organisms meet and thrive. Something I’ve chosen to call: BUSTEALITY.

I can’t help but think that riding on the bus must have been what gave Darwin his jump-off point for radical & evolutionary thought. Seriously, you gotta see this, people.

More later…

No comments: